Friday, May 9, 2008

Love

The Eskimo has fifty-two names for snow because it is important to them; there ought to be as many for love. (Judith Viorst)

In my book, these are the names for love:


Reisa, my ten-year-old, who, despite our fights and tantrums, tells me that I am the best mother in the world. Her every word, silence, look, wish, tear, laughter teaches me about unconditional love -- how can someone so critical of me be the same powerhouse of love, no matter what? I love you all the way up to the moon and back, Ren.

River, my five-year-old, who likes to quiz me, "Are you good or bad, mom?," after being scolded. He pauses for a while and answers the question himself..."Umm, good." He makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I love you to infinity and beyond, Riv.


My husband, Benjou, for his unfaltering love. You are a wonderful father to our kids.


My Santos family who reminds me of my history and gives me a strong sense of what I want for my future. My Elgincolin family who has a bottomless well of love for my kids. I am grateful for the support both have blessed my family with.


The teachers and staff of Creative Explorers who are like family to me. You teach with such great love, thank you. Group hug.


The school's creative explorers who inspire me to teach. You, with your little hands and big dreams, make me proud. Special mention goes to my 16 Kinder kids who always let out a smile when they hear me in my British accent. High fives to you from Harrietta Potter.:-)


My friends who, despite their busy schedules, still remember to text, email, call, or get together. Do appreciate the good conversations that make it hard for me to sleep after.


Just the other night, while the kids and I were lying in bed, River taught me another name for love. I was bending over to kiss Reisa goodnight and accidentally fell on top of my son. Sleepy and a bit cranky as he was, he made a big fuss and pretended to be hurt by the incident. Sorry, Riv. Love you! I said. He budged after a while. Okay, fine. L-O-V, read that, mom!

Lov.


I'm feeling: like I have a loose screw in my head.
I'm listening to: my kids and their friends playing.

No comments: