Thursday, May 8, 2008

Work

I remember one of Robert Fulghum's stories about finding it difficult to answer that question which defines who you are: What is it that you do? Didn't he finally decide on saying "I'm a breather of life" or something like that, for lack of a more apt and specific word? But really, how do you sum up in a sentence, a phrase something so immense?

What is it that I do? I teach preschool kids. And anyone who's had the experience of being with children will tell you it's not that easy. Sixteen children in a class, all coming from different family backgrounds, each having his own needs, moods, values, skills, character, and wanting your attention all at the same time. But it's what I love about it. I crave for the whole process of preparing lesson plans, making materials, communicating with children, teaching them, learning from them, managing behaviors, witnessing their growth, and liaising with their parents. Outside the classroom, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas that I can use with the children, a stroke of inspiration to make me a better teacher. I thrive on this creative process of educating children and being part of their young, impressionable lives.

But that's just one portion of what I do. I also respond to the following titles: preschool owner, administrator, program director, finance manager, teacher trainer, guidance counselor, cashier, receptionist, cleaner, guard. That's a lot of hats to wear in my workplace alone, but I will not trade my job for anything else. It's a crazy roller coaster ride but I'd rather be in it than just watch from the sidelines. The view from the top is incredible too, so if the only way up is to start down, or stay down many times over, I'd still take the ride.

Winston Churchill said "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." What I receive financially from my work really isn't much. But I am blessed to be accorded the chance to make something of my life by giving a piece of myself to these children. I am quite a millionaire that way.

What is it that I do? In a nutshell, I am a giver, and for that I am enriched in many, immeasurable ways.


I'm feeling: like I am where I should be.
I'm listening to: the Backyardigans singing on TV.

No comments: